Aramo ISO Beta 4 (Dic 24 2022)
- Anmelden oder Registrieren um Kommentare zu schreiben
Hello guys,
Well, and we have now a Beta 4 arriving in time for the holidays,
The main changes from Beta 3 ISO,
- debian-installer
- finally, the console l10n/kb layout issue has been fixed.
- lvm setup issue on non encrypted disk, also has been fixed.
- switched back from artica-greeter to lightdm-gtk-greeter
- added small customization to budgie meta package and environment.
- added small customization to kylin environment.
- New Aramo artwork! \o/
- Multi arch installer support for arm/ppc64el WIP.
Known issues,
-
non-blocking: upstream ifupdown output issue
Find the latest BETA images at:
http://cdbuilds.trisquel.org/aramo/
All the feedback is welcome, current and new issues will be followed/tracked at the Trisquel's GitLab instance, please ask for your account at the devel mailing list or the #trisquel-dev channel.
Thank you all for all your previous feedback to all early testers and the community in general.
Have a great holiday season!
Cheers!
What a great gift! This would solve both issues I found earlier. I am going to re-install on my Alder Lake laptop and on a Dell R630 server now. Could you publish SHA256 checksums for the netinst image too? OpenPGP signatures would also be great! I have Talos II Lite machine waiting for the ppc64el images, happy to test them when they become available! What arm-boards will be supported?
Update: trisquel_11.0_amd64.iso beta4 and trisquel-netinst_11.0-20221223_amd64.iso on PV41NZ laptop (Intel 1260P CPU and AR9462 WiFi): No release blocker, everything works fine! I completed graphical and text installations from LiveDVD, and text install from netinst, all via builtin WiFi. Didn't try LVM, but both btrfs and ext4. Keyboard layout works in tty. Minor things: 1) Selecting 'Check disk for defects' on LiveDVD starts a graphical Trisquel but nothing happens. If I look in the syslog, casper-md5check (md5?) has run and said OK but I wouldn't expect most people to look in the syslog for results? 2) During graphic manual partitioning, if there is a swap partition defined, the installer always appears to want to re-format it even though the checkbox for Format? is not checked. Text mode install does not seem to have a Format-button, and also always re-format swap partition. I have other operating systems on this machine (or had... before I mistakenly wiped out my Guix installation, ouch) that mount the swap partition using UUID and I prefer to not re-format the swap partition. Could be an upstream Ubuntu bug, not worthy of fixing in Trisquel. 3) Large part of the installation is removing language packages, but after first boot the abrowser-locale-*, hyphen-*, ice-dove-locale-*, libreoffice-l10n-*, mythes-* packages are still present. Is this intentional? It seems to remove the gimp-help-*, hunspell-*, language-pack-* language sets. This doesn't really matter much, consistency with Ubuntu is more important so this may considered to be an upstream problem, and doing anything Trisquel-specific also doesn't seem necessary.
Minor things:
1) Selecting 'Check disk for defects' on LiveDVD starts a graphical Trisquel but nothing happens. If I look in the syslog, casper-md5check (md5?) has run and said OK but I wouldn't expect most people to look in the syslog for results?
Well, since it runs as service it will very likely show on syslog, but actually the "right" place to look at is: /run/casper-md5check.json
Maybe we can add this to the wiki for reference in case it's not there, as for casper-md5check it works as an integrity test, as a standard security mesure any iso file should be checked right after it gets downloaded against secure hash sums before boot it up.
2) During graphic manual partitioning, if there is a swap partition defined, the installer always appears to want to re-format it even though the checkbox for Format? is not checked.
I've seen that the default behavior is to always format the swap partition, could it be a bug that the checkbox still exists?, looking it up, seems this has been an issue for quite some time in ubuntu (and others).
Text mode install does not seem to have a Format-button, and also always re-format swap partition. [...] Could be an upstream Ubuntu bug, not worthy of fixing in Trisquel.
Nope, Ubuntu dropped the debian-installer, they no longer package it or maintain it, if anything we might like to know the reasons why Debian removed that option (bug or feature), which seems to be followed by ubiquity, since we now use Debian as upstream for this and many other packages related to it.
3) Large part of the installation is removing language packages, but after first boot the abrowser-locale-*, hyphen-*, ice-dove-locale-*, libreoffice-l10n-*, mythes-* packages are still present. Is this intentional? It seems to remove the gimp-help-*, hunspell-*, language-pack-* language sets. This doesn't really matter much, consistency with Ubuntu is more important so this may considered to be an upstream problem, and doing anything Trisquel-specific also doesn't seem necessary.
Hmmm, yeah this is a low priority issue, but it could be worth to open an issue so this could be reviewed at some point.
Hello, there is one problem I had with an earlier Aramo beta. I installed trisquel-mini via the net installer and log in to my "Trisquel-mini" desktop which should be LXDE. That is working without a problem. But if I double click the personal folder on my desktop a window appears that says:"Operation not supported". I checked the file /home/knife/Desktop/home.desktop and there is this line:URL=file:$HOMEI changed that line to URL=file:/home/knife and now a double click on my home folder on the desktop brings to /home/knife as expected. For testing I typed echo $HOME in a terminal, and that works, too. It gives me "/home/knife".
Maybe this can be fixed til the official release
Other Icons on the desktop are working as expected.
Please help us by opening bugs on the GitLab instance, so they get the proper follow up.
Regards
Hello, I just tried a trisquel-mini netinstall of aramo and I can't reproduce the error.
How did you got a /home/knife/Desktop/home.desktop shortcut file?
There is a shortcut provided by trisquel-desktop-common-data: /usr/share/applications/home.desktop but that has no "URL=" value on it, I only was able to show the Documents folder and the Trash icon.
If you can share more details, I'll be glad to double check.
Regards.
I was reading through the various conversations about 32-bit support and it seems like there will be no 32-bit x86 support for Trisquel 11, right?
Indeed, such project requires a bigger developer team and community in general to support it.
Good Morning all.
I just installed the Alpha 4... no real issues at this point, I will make note of any glitches and report back.
Question: do you expect this will evolve and not require a reinstall after the Beta?
no big deal, just planning ahead
Peter
At this point I see it very hard to be the case.
Any further changes should arrive via updates but I would wait an RC to feel even "safer", still we are not very far away from it.
Have a happy GNU Year 2023.
Read you there.
thanks!
happy GNU Year
Happy GNU year to everyone,
On my machine with Aramo and LXDE installed scrot has to be installed to make screenshots. So I think scrot is missing in default Trisquel-mini install.
sudo apt install scrot
Will look into that, thanks.
And a happy GNU Year 2023.
Hello all,
After downloaded Triskel (KDE) Aramo i got these images. Can't past this. Eternal loop?
After waiting something like 10 minutes the image of trisquel logo continues to the black one.
My system:
Sistema Operativo: Debian GNU/Linux 11
Versão do Plasma do KDE: 5.20.5
Versão das Plataformas do KDE: 5.78.0
Versão do Qt: 5.15.2
Versão do 'Kernel': 5.10.0-20-amd64
Tipo de SO: 64-bits
Processadores: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Memória: 15,6 GiB de RAM
Processador Gráfico: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
Seems the ISO must be a bit more polished and booting properly.
That looks like you choice bad your hardware, sadly you buy hardware that can't work with free software. So, as Trisquel don't distribute nonfree software the distro never go to start.
As you say you use Debian, Debian as a non-free distro recommend, and distribute nonfree programs, that make it unacceptable for the freedom to have the control of your computing.
You have experience running Trisquel or other free distro (https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html) with the same machine?
Nouveau, which reports the error, is the (free, of course) driver for nVidia's cards. Using the GPU built in your Intel processor instead of the nVidia card should solve the problem. Otherwise, try adding Linux's nomodeset option, and maybe xforcevesa too. I guess the instructions on https://askubuntu.com/tags/nomodeset/info apply to Trisquel too.
Hey guys,
Thanks for the fast reply.
On the advice of iShareFreedom i tried:
1- PUREOS - Version KDE PLASMA- Worked. Just booting in normal conditions and it worked like a charm.
2- Trisquel 10 (MATE) - work as expected but not Triskel (KDE) 11. Need to test Triskel 10 (KDE); Trisquel 11 (MATE) to see if the boot is the same. As on Fedora with just libre software it works under Fedora Workstation but not KDE spin. Maybe it is the same here.
3- I will test what Magic Banana told and i will put later the report here.
Thanks again for the answers guys.
Best regards.
I tried the "something else" option for partionning while using the graphical installation, I cannot see any option to use LVM. Is there any?
Hi,
So, to tell my feedback about this beta release I'm using for a couple of days, I would start by it stability. One of the most satisfying things in Aramo is that it combine stability, and not just a little, with features with only a delay of few months from Ubuntu/Debian.
That I note is that I my CPU usage had drastically reduced since I started used it. To give numbers, I'm standing around 5~25% most of the time as in Trisquel 10 it had much peaks to 100% and was the rest of the time at ~60%. I also note major improvements with my GPU. Indeed this last months I had serious problems with it, becoming more and more difficult to launch some applications, notably games. Now, but of course it's not a miracle, I get fewer hangs from my GPU, even if sometimes I have to reboot, but I believe in futures patches.
About apps, I get less and less problems with Trisquel apps & forks, specially Abrowser which I left while I was using Trisquel 9 because of a lot of problems, for the benefit of Firefox, and now I went back to it it is much usable, even (sometimes) I get sort of "traces" of these problems, but it's not annoying anymore since it's rare. I can also say that KDE now uses less RAM (on Triskel), but it might be independent from Trisquel development.
Last, it might be a good thing to add a checkbox in the LiveUSB installer to choose if we could use other mirrors as archive.trisquel.org, as I was surprised to get an unknown mirror with much keys errors.
So, to conclude, it would be relevant to release Aramo in the next days, it has a perfect "LTS behaviour".
I'm standing around 5~25% most of the time as in Trisquel 10 it had much peaks to 100% and was the rest of the time at ~60%.
If the system is apparently doing nothing, it is abnormal to have a ~60% CPU usage (and a waste of energy): have you looked at which process was consuming that much? Maybe a Web page full of JavaScript...
When the system is asked to do something (to launch a large application, to display a 3D video game with as many FPS as possible, etc.), you actually want the CPU usage to peak: you did not buy a processor to never use it to its full potential.
Hi,
About 60%, I think it was due to hardware problems, because even with non-JS tabs opened, CPU usage was high of course).
About the peaks and "its full polential", of course I agree with that but the problem was that, even doing nothing, CPU usage was high. Now, with Aramo, I can sometimes see a 95% usage, but most of the time the jobs doesn't require that performance.
I hope you understood what I meant.
My experience with both Trisquel 9 and Trisquel 10 has been remarkably low cpu usage. Sounds like it was probably hardware problems you ran into. What are some of your hardware specs?
- Anmelden oder Registrieren um Kommentare zu schreiben

